Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Recipe: (Healthier) Blueberry Muffins



I love to bake (and eat!) baked goods, but I do not have much of a sweet tooth.  Neither does Mr. Snoop.  So, a lot of muffin recipes are too sugary/buttery for us.  Also, while I'm not a total health nut, I prefer to make our food healthier when I can.

[Side note: I know it sounds strange to whine about not having a sweet tooth, so let it be known that I do have my vices.  Give me the salt.  I can go through a bag of Trader Joe's everything bagel chips in a single sitting.]

With tons of yummy blueberries in the store I got a craving for blueberry muffins.  Martha to the rescue!  She saved the day with this recipe from the Everyday Foods app, which will now be a standby in our house.  I thought I'd share in case anyone else likes a healthier/heartier blueberry muffin:

Banana-Blueberry Muffins
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour, spooned and leveled
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ  (I used oatmeal)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup blueberries (I used more)
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a bowl, whisk together flours, wheat germ or oatmeal, baking soda, and salt.
  2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, mash bananas with a fork (you should have 3/4 cup); stir in milk and vanilla.
  3. With mixer on low, alternately add flour mixture and banana mixture to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined. Fold in blueberries.
  4. Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 28 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; transfer muffins to a rack to cool 10 minutes more.
I hope yall enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this recipe! I'm definitely interested in trying it - I LOVE sweets, but we've been working on cutting back on them so something modified like this sounds perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have any left? :0) BTW you can borrow my sweet tooth any time you like.

    ReplyDelete