Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wild Raspberries

My grandfather, who is now retired, worked for a large oil company.  Because of this, their family moved around alot: California, New York, Louisiana, Saudi Arabia, and Texas.  Obviously, my dad (and eventually my grandparents and uncle) stuck in Texas- thank God!  But while he was in elementary school, my dad lived in the exact same little town where Mr. Snoop and I live, from which my grandfather commuted to the city.  Crazy coincidence!  My dad's family talked about picking wild raspberries on the side of the road up here, but I figured that such picturesque forays were no longer reality in this area.  Well, I was wrong!

Last week, my precious cousin Katie visited me from Oklahoma.  In the midst of our wanderings through suburbia, what did we spot?  Wild raspberries growing on the side of the road!  I quickly pulled the car over and we assessed the situation.  After sampling the goods, we decided that due to the taste and the fact that we did not fall over dead, the berries in question were, in fact, wild raspberries. 



As a child, I was completely obsessed with the Little House on the Prairie series.  We do not have wild raspberries in Texas, so picking these was a dream come true for my childhood self.  All I needed was a sunbonnet and an apron with which to gather the little beauties.  Just call me Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Katie was reminded of the Oregon Trail computer game-- what happens when you find wild berries?

Either way, they were delish!  We made raspberry ice cream and also ate them with french toast.  Yum.

Styled by Katie.  Wouldn't Martha be proud?

Have you ever picked wild fruit of any kind?  Is this normal / Am I just a deprived Texan for never having gotten to do this before?

2 comments:

  1. So cool! I remember you being obsessed with LEW and going to Pioneer camp. BTW I just go the Oregon trail app for my iphone:)Love you Em! I hope to keep up with you a little in the blog-o-sphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha - this is cute. I don't think I'd be brave enough to try Side of Road Berries, but I've definitely picked wild huckleberries whilst hiking. Sounds like you really scored!

    ReplyDelete