Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hurricane a comin'!

Well, in case you haven't heard blaring from all things news-related, Hurricane Irene is on her way to our neck of the woods.  For all things Earth Science, it's been quite a week up here in the Great White North.  First there was The Earthquake.  Which I did not feel.  My co-worker, 20 feet away in the next office, did.  He said "The church is moving!"  I said, "You're crazy!"  He wasn't.  I never felt earthquakes when I lived in Memphis, either.

And now, Irene. 


Earlier this summer, I took eleven teenagers down to New Orleans on a mission trip (they rocked, btw).  There was still a lot of work to be done down there.  I lived not too far from Katrina when it came through.  Though I have a very healthy respect for hurricanes and the damage which they can wreak, somehow my feelings around Irene have gone all Disney.  All I can think about is this:

"Hurricane's a comin'!  Stand fast the riggings!"
(sorry)

In spite of my Disney-fication of Irene, I am ready with the following items:

Battery-powered lanterns (2)
Candles (lots)
Butane Lighters (2)
Water (a couple jugs)

....None of which is immune from Disney-fication either.  Now I have Scar's voice running through my head:

"Be Prepaaarrrred!  Muaahahahaha!"

Maybe I process stress through Disney.  Is that wrong?  This is my first hurricane, after all.

On a totally unrelated note, Lilly Pulitzer is having their summer sale.  I ordered two totally adorable dresses for work.  Ya'll should check it out!

1 comment: