Monday, December 12, 2011

Surviving Winter: Part 2


In addition to the cold, yankee winters are miserable because everything is dead.  Everything.  So it is totally gray and dreary.  Not to get all cheeseball, but I had a totally new appreciation for Easter and "new life" after my first winter up here.  Because from November to early April there is nary a live green thing in sight.  I guess there are evergreen trees and bushes, but even they look depressed.

Last fall I brought this geranium (above) up to my office from our yard before it froze.  And she LOVES it here.  She must be Presbyterian.  My office is awesome for many reasons, not least of which is that there are two south-facing windows that get great all day sun.  It is so nice to walk in out of the snow and see something alive, green, and blooming.  Not to mention that I adore geraniums.  Or any other big, dramatic flower for that matter.  Hydrangeas, rhododendrons, etc. 

So there's my second surviving winter tip: Get a pet plant!

No comments:

Post a Comment