Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Kind of Politics: Style a la Michelle

Warning: Political Post Ahead.  And by political, I mean talking about political wife style.  Michelle Obama, Kate Middleton, Carla Bruni... and most importantly, their clothes.  That is my kind of politics.  Forget what their husbands do.  Let's talk fashion.


Today we'll discuss Michelle.  I like to pretend we are on a first name basis.  I think her style is just fab.  There is a reason she is the first public figure on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens (see above perfection) in 60 years.  She wears everything from Michael Kors, Narciso Rodriguez, and Jason Wu to Talbots, Target, and Gap--and she makes it all look good.

Michele knows how to dress her body.  According to the interwebs, the gal is around 5'11".  She definitely has an athletic build.  By opting toward feminine, tailored silhouettes in great colors she avoids looking masculine or overly muscled.   

However, the styles Michelle wears would work for every woman's body.  By contrast, I am all of 5'0" and on the thin side, and I gravitate toward the same style.  You should see how many cardigans I have.

I think Michelle is a great role model for young girls, especially as there seems to be nothing but tiny and skinny on the cover of magazines.  She is healthy, fit, and makes it look great!  I also appreciate her commitment to furthering healthy eating and exercise in children.

I've identified the following as Michelle's Style Essentials.  See picture for evidence.

- Pretty cardigan

- Cinched waist

- Feminine touches: bows, pearls, fun necklaces or pins

- Perfect, tailored fit

- Classic hair

- Understated, elegant makeup

- Neutral flats or kitten heels


Classic Michelle: Cute flats, feminine detailing with the bow, cardigan, perfect fit, great color.

Just right.  Again with the cardigan, flats, fitted top, and cute pin.

Attention: Soccer Moms of America.  This is how you do it. 
Notice the cardigan is recycled from the above outfit.

In Michael Kors.  Love.

So what about you?  Is Michelle's style a hit or miss for you?  If you like her style and are looking for a little inspiration, you must check out New York Magazine's Michelle Obama Look Book, from which I got all of these photos.

2 comments:

  1. You got right on this one :0) she does look great on the cover- and while I should aim to have a more athletic built and dress like Mrs. Obama- my soul would like to stop eating and start dressing like Kate Middleton. Can't wait for that post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle looks like a real, live woman, not a model. And for that, I, a real, live middle-aged woman, thank her. Also, I'd like to snatch that pale teal cardigan.

    ReplyDelete