Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Beautiful Veggies


I had to share this beautiful pic of our latest fruit and vegetable haul.  Mr. Snoop and I are members of a local CSA (community supported agriculture), so we get a weekly delivery of fresh fruits and vegetables from a local farm.  Admittedly, some weeks, like in June, can be a bit sparse.  But then you get weeks like this one! 

The green things with the papery husks on the right are tomatillos.  One of the great things about this CSA is that Mr. Snoop and I are the only southerners.  And ya'll... these crazy New Yorkers do not know what to do with Southern food.  There is a "dump" table where folks leave the veggies they don't want.  The New Yorkers always leave their okra and tomatillos.  So Mr. Snoop and I load up and then eat up.  Then we laugh at the New Yorkers.  Not really.  Ok a little bit. 
That's how we got so many tomatillos, and how I made all this enchilada sauce:

Four for the freezer, one for this week

I like the following enchilada sauce from Martha.  We usually enjoy it with cheese enchiladas.  Yum.

Tomatillo Enchilada Sauce

  • Yield Makes 2 1/2 cups

Ingredients

  • 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
  • 1 cup diced white onion
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 jalapeno, quartered (seeded if desired).  I do not desire :)
  • 1 cup water
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • Pinch of sugar

Directions

  1. In a medium pot of boiling salted water, cook tomatillos until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain tomatillos and transfer to a blender; add onion, clove, jalapeno, and water. Puree until smooth.  Season with salt and pepper. In pot, heat oil over high until shimmering. Add tomatillo mixture and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, vinegar, and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever tried or cooked with tomatillos - but that dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna throw out a nomnomnom and say that I may finally be feeling wild and crazy enough to get in on this CSA thing.

    I'm sure if I get creative enough I can find a way to make it all edible like you've done.

    Plus- I was tickled when we got to have purple potatoes at your house :)

    ReplyDelete