Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Grocery Shopping in New York

Now I know that grocery shopping may not be the most delightful experience anywhere, but I've got to tell you that grocery shopping in New York is a full contact sport.

The aisles are super narrow, people are super aggressive, and there is a super lack of cashiers so the lines are super long.

And then there's the parking lot.  Which you often have to pay for.  On a recent trip, I went back to Mr. Snoop's car (the white subaru below) and, Behold:


Someone had ever so kindly parked their shopping cart into Mr. Snoop's bumper.  How sweet.  I just had to document it, because, really?

Please keep in mind that the place where you park the grocery cart was like 3 spaces over.

Flash forward to two weeks ago.  I was putting my bags in my car.  I see a man.  He's also putting his bags in his car.  Then... wait for it... he takes his cart and you guessed it, starts parking it in the empty spot next to him.  In such a way that whomever tries to park their car there will be unable to.  Since Passive Aggressive Kindness is my specialty, I say:

"Oh, do you want me to take your cart for you?  I'm taking mine over (gesturing to the place, 5 spaces away, where the carts get parked) there right now."

Angry New York Man: "What?!?"

Snoop: "Do you want me to take your cart for you?"

Angry New York Man: Gets in his car, slams the door, and speeds away.  Leaves his cart, duh.

[Side Note: When we lived in Nashville, there was this guy who would walk his dog in our parking lot (he didn't live in our complex).  It was a gigantic dog and it made correspondingly gigantic poop.  Which he never, ever cleaned.  So one day, I see him coming.  I  suddenly have to check the mail.  His dog takes a gigantic poop.  He starts walking away.  I say: "Oh, did you forget a bag?  Here, let me get you one." 

He cleaned up the poop after that.  So, you see, Passive Aggressive Kindness is my thing.  End of Side Note.]

Is your grocery store a war zone or is it just me?

3 comments:

  1. I love that you said something! Grumpy man being so rude!
    I also hate when people leave their dog poo - If for some reason I don't have an extra bag on me and Miley goes #2, I'll go back to the house, get a bag, and go back to the spot to pick it up. It's not hard, just don't be so lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha LOVE the passive aggressive kindness move. Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passive-aggressive kindness somehow seems Biblical.

    ReplyDelete