Monday, December 3, 2012

This One Time At Yoga

In order to combat my well-documented crazy at this time of year, I had planned to do lots of running. But then I remembered that the sun goes down before I leave work. And I can't run on a treadmill because I'm high maintenance and it makes me feel like a hamster.

Since I can't run on week days, I had the great idea to get a groupon for a month of unlimited yoga at a studio just down the road. So far I really like it and it is helping my daylight savings induced crazy. But y'all, these yoga people are intense. My mom (Hi Mama Cat!) is a super yogi, but she doesn't take herself so seriously.

The other day at my class, I saw this guy walk in wearing jeans and a fleece. He set up his mat and everything, and I was thinking, Wow, he really must be awesome to do yoga in jeans. Well, I looked away and then next thing I know, Bam! There was a guy wearing a black spandex shirt and.... panties! Yep. The jeans and fleece guy had transformed. Quite suddenly, I might add. Teeny, tiny, itty bitty, little, black man panties. Very tight, they were.

Now I don't know if wearing man-panties to yoga is normal. The first time I took Mr. Snoop to Barton Springs in Austin, there was a dude doing this inversion in a blue speedo:

Source: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/481

But that's Austin. Totally par for the course. I didn't even really think twice because it wasn't a thong or women's underwear, you know? But seeing man-panties here in the suburbs of NYC (in late November, nonetheless) took me completely by surprise. I mean, men wear suits to casual gatherings here.

I guess if I were a real, honest-to-God, crunchy yoga person I would totally not be sharing this information with you. But I'm not. And let's face it, I'm just not mature enough to let this one slide. Fortunately, the panties guy was waaaaaay across the class from me, and I was too focused on not falling down to spy on him. Thank God, because if he had been next to me I'm positive that I would have been comepletely unable to control my giggles. Oh, and after class he just walked around talking to the teacher and other students, right there in his panties like "Hey, here I am, me, my panties, and everything else."

So now I'm doing research. Since Toto, we are not in Austin anymore, is this normal? My co-worker is a total yoga person, so I asked her. After she nearly peed her pants laughing, she told me that no, no it is not. In your experience, are man-panties in yoga an acceptable and normal occurence?

1 comment:

  1. I discussed this in my matrons' yoga class. My instructor said that she had a yoga teacher who wore them and who didn't wear a shirt. She was horrified. He was hairy.

    ReplyDelete