Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Language Arts

After three years in the Great White North, I have observed that among other cultural differences (ahem, manners), certain words have different meanings up here than they do down South.  In my experience, anyways.

Here is a chart with my preliminary findings.  Just what I could think of off the top of my head or words that have caused confusion when I speak to people. 

Word
Southern Use
Yankee Use
Coke
Any soft drink
Coca cola
Tennis Shoes
Athletic Shoes
Shoes used for tennis
House Shoes
Shoes worn in the house/Slippers
N/A
Roll
Roster or bread
Bread only
BBQ
Smoked meat with a tomato-vinegar sauce
Cooking outside with a grill
Grill Out/ Cook Out
Cooking outside with a grill
N/A


 For example.  The following sentences might or might not have been in an actual email draft that I was going to send out to my mission trip kids and their parents.  That I then had to translate before I sent the email, because they would otherwise be unintelligible.

"We need one parent to pick up cokes for our grill out with XYZ Church."

"For the worksite, bring a pair of tennis shoes that you don't mind getting ruined.  Only bring work boots if you already own a broken in pair." 

Also, if you are in the North and use one of those words that for yankees is N/A, you will be met with a blank stare.  Tennis shoes in the North are sneakers. 

Any other words that y'all can think of?

1 comment:

  1. This clears up so much for me. Esp the BBQ/Grill out thing.

    ReplyDelete